Featured Image for Student dead after eating pasta that was left out for five days
News

Student dead after eating pasta that was left out for five days

A tragic incident involving food past its expiration date, and a man who actually expired by eating it.

A 2008 death is recently being talked about online after Dr Bernard, a licensed practitioner, featured it on his popular YouTube channel.

According to a report published in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, a 20-year-old student from Belgium, identified only as AJ, became ill after eating spaghetti with tomato sauce prepared five days earlier and stored at room temperature.

He started feeling worse and worse as he went about his day, but brushed it off, drinking only water and not taking any medication. He went to bed thinking it was only a minor case of food poisoning. The next morning, his parents, worried because he did not get up for university, went to check on him. They found his body cold and lifeless.

An autopsy revealed that AJ contracted bacillus cereus, a spore-forming bacteria that produces harmful toxins. As it turned out, as the victim slept, the harmful bacteria caused liver failure.

“Typically, food poisoning just causes stomach inflammation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, it doesn’t typically cause acute liver failure,” said Bernard, who regularly talks about strange medical cases around the world on his YouTube channel.

He added that although this case isn’t the norm, we should all still be careful when it comes to consuming food that hasn’t been properly refrigerated.

“Be careful of food left out for more than a few hours,” he said. “If the food smells funny, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.”

Via NY Post

Leave a comment