In WWII, the Rockland State Hospital for the Insane (now known as the Rockland Psychiatric Centre) had a population of 9,000. The hospital opened in 1931 and housed so many inpatients because medicine had not been created yet for those with mental health problems. In fact, electroshock therapy and lobotomy were the only treatment methods for patients with severe cases of schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.
Tales from the hospital are incredibly frightening, such as patients escaping and murders in the area being blamed on the ‘mentally disturbed’.
When medication became available for mental health back in the 1960s, the hospital transitioned into what is now the Rockland Psychiatric Centre (complete with a bowling alley), and it has since become an outpatient clinic with just 600 patients.
Via The Plaid Zebra