This is why we can’t have nice things. The Drunken Satyr, an early 19th century sculpture was given an untimely amputation after a student attempted to snap a selfie while sitting on its lap. The school security then got the shock of their lives – and possibly their careers – after discovering the ‘rehabilitation work’ the following morning at the Academy of Fine Arts of Brera in Milan. CCTV footage even shows the bright perpetrator sitting on the valuable artwork’s lap when it crumbled and shattered against the floor.
The statue was created by an unknown Hellenistic era sculpture and depicts a faun, otherwise known as the Roman version of a Greek satyr, passed out from indulging in too much wine. I’d hate to be that guy who had too many drinks and woke up the next morning without a leg.
But if there’s any consolation to this story, the damaged statue is only a replica. The original ‘The Drunken Satyr’, which dates back to 220 BC, is located at the Glyptothek Museum in Munich, safe from mischievous selfie takers. As for the student, the media hasn’t named him/her yet. As for the selfie, we don’t know if the student was able to take it before the tragic accident and so far there has been no sign of the selfie on social media sites.
Moral lesson of the story: Do not touch the artwork.
Via HUH Magazine